In his book, At the Dawn of a New Age, which was first published in 1966, Rudolf Hauschka, born in Vienna in 1891, recounts the story of his life from his childhood through his studies of chemistry and medicine to the creation of WALA. During the First World War Hauschka served as first lieutenant in the Austrian army. After the war had ended he worked in the chemical industry and even then was interested in cosmetics. In the summer of 1924 the first meetings between the young chemist and Rudolf Steiner took place. During an anthroposophical conference in Holland Hauschka asked Rudolf Steiner: “What is life?” and received the answer: “Study rhythms. Rhythm carries life.”
In 1929, on his return from the Indian Ocean, Hauschka began with research work at the Klinisch-Therapeutisches Institut (Clinical and Therapeutic Institute) in Arlesheim in Switzerland. He wanted to find new ways of extracting medicinal plants without using alcohol. Hauschka, who had been an active opponent of alcohol from his earliest youth, was of the opinion that alcohol did indeed kill off micro-organisms responsible for the spoiling of organic substances. But he considered this method of preserving to be wrong, since at the same time it “cuts off the natural beings from their cosmic archetypes”. With Steiner’s words in mind he sought a method of preserving that was based on natural rhythms: “The course of the experiments was dictated by the rhythm of sunrise and sunset, the rhythm of the phases of the moon, the rhythm of the seasons, the rhythm of stellar constellations, combined with rhythms of movement which, so to speak in resonance, bring cosmic rhythms into the substrate and fix them.” Extensive research work and many different experimental setups were necessary before it was finally possible to obtain highly potent and completely natural water-based medicinal plant extracts which could be kept for a long time without the addition of alcohol. To this day, rhythmized medicinal plant extracts form the basis of many WALA medicines. WALA’s rhythmic growth The great success of the medicines made it necessary to construct a first laboratory in Ludwigshafen which soon had to move to bigger premises in Dresden on the bank of the River Elbe. After the Second World War, part of which he spent in Gestapo detention, Hauschka converted an old military barracks in the Munich district of Höllriegelskreuth into a laboratory and, with Max Kaphahn, Maja Mewes and Dr. Margarethe Hauschka-Stavenhagen, continued manufacturing WALA elixirs and medicines. By 1950 work in the WALA barracks had grown to such an extent that the team had to look for suitable, stable premises, which they eventually found in Eckwälden. At first the local population was somewhat suspicious of the young entrepreneurs. However, the demand for rhythmized medicines was increasing, and with it WALA’s work grew and grew. In 1955 the company built the first building of its own and the large medicinal plant garden was begun. Then, in 1967, came the Dr.Hauschka Skin Care products, which were developed in collaboration with Elisabeth Sigmund, and the success story of the Dr.Hauschka Rose Cream began. Rudolf Hauschka died on 28 December 1969.
– from the WALA newsletter